What do you call an area of the sea that sinks many ships? I am pretty sure there was a word for it. When there are treacherous rocks that sink wooden ships, there was a word pirates used to refer to it, but I don't recall what it was.

  • Something like "the Bermuda triangle"? (....) No, that is the name given to a specific location where several aeroplanes were "lost" and never found again.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jun 27 '20 at 5:46
  • 2
    You're looking for a reef maybe?
    – Jeanba
    Jun 27 '20 at 6:10
  • ship graveyard?
    – Son Nguyen
    Jun 27 '20 at 7:30
  • The sea doesn't "sink ships". Ships sink for many reasons and that can include hitting rocks. You mean: an area of the ocean where many ships have sunk.
    – Lambie
    Apr 9 at 20:24

There are several possibilities:

  • dire straits: generally dangerous waters or more specifically a narrow passageway connecting two large bodies of water that is dangerous for ships
  • Charybdis and Scylla: based on Odysseus' Greek mythology a whirlpool and many necked monster which made sailing very dangerous, however it has been used more generally as a dangerous place to sail
  • lee shore (leeward shore): a stretch of shore that is down wind of a ship so the ship is being blown towards it. It is considered dangerous because shallow waters and potential rocks and make maneuvering a ship dangerous.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.