In a company, there are various ranks of positions. And some people are working in a higher position than me.

Is there any word indicating anyone working in a higher position than me?

He/she can work inside in the same team or he/she might not, just only in the same company. He can be just above you or he can work at a much higher position.

He is my ______.

What is a suitable word for the blank?

I've been doing googling and I come across the word 'superior'. Is this a suitable word? Or, is it unsuitable to indicate someone by rank? Is it ok to address him 'my colleague'?

  • He is my senior. – Umesh Jul 9 '20 at 14:26
  • 1
    @Umesh I tend to think an old person with 'senior'. Is it still used if the person is younger than me? – hbadger19042 Jul 9 '20 at 16:33

Though you use the word address, I think you are asking about what to call such a person when you are speaking to someone else.

If the person is only a little above you in rank, you might call them your line manager or supervisor. In a social setting, it would probably be OK to refer to them as your colleague. However, if they are much senior to you it would probably be more polite to say "Mr X is a head of department at the firm where I work," or whatever is appropriate.


Superior. Anyone who is higher up than you in an organisation can be referred to as your superior.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.