Could someone tell me what this is exactly called in English? I tried going with a "checkpoint" but I couldn't find further information and I need it for work urgently.

a glass cabin, a separate gate for pedestrians and one for vehicles

  • 2
    What exactly are you referring to? The entirety of the picture could certainly be called a checkpoint. Why do you think that's wrong? What specific component and function are you thinking of? – Jason Bassford Jul 11 '20 at 6:25
  • It might help if you told us what the text on the booth and above the pedestrian entrance says. – mdewey Jul 11 '20 at 12:48

It isn't quite clear from the picture what it is, and that is relevant because it depends on the purpose of the structure. For example, it could be a tollbooth on a motorway, or it could be a security checkpoint at a border. These type of barriers are used in various ways. The word 'checkpoint' implies that some kind of procedure is involved, i.e. showing ID. This would not be the case with a tollbooth where a simple exchange of money happens. In other words, a 'checkpoint' is a place where something is checked, usually some kind of document like ID which verifies the person has permission to cross through the barriers.

  • Except a motorway tollbooth is unlikely to have a side gate for pedstrians. – James K Jul 11 '20 at 21:22
  • True, but the point remains that without context it is unclear what these barriers are functioning as. – kandyman Jul 11 '20 at 21:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.