Is there a good adjective for jigsaw pieces that don't match? I feel like "unfitting" and "non-matching" are not idiomatic and perhaps even incorrect. I was wondering if there were better adjectives that I didn't consider.

  • How can jigsaw puzzle pieces be misshapen? Maybe they are just in the wrong place. Aug 6, 2020 at 22:02
  • wrong place was what I meant.
    – Sayaman
    Aug 6, 2020 at 22:12
  • Then, "out of place" might do it. The entire box of pieces fits that description before assembly of the puzzle starts, so I don't think you need a special adjective. Or you could just say "It doesn't go there!". The piece goes somewhere, after all. Aug 6, 2020 at 22:21

2 Answers 2


: unsuitably or wrongly matched.
E.g., a mismatched pair of socks

In my opinion, this adjective applies if you have already attempted to put the pieces together. You could also in general say

They don’t fit. / They don’t fit together.


We can use simple words.

Those two pieces are wrong.

But your language used in the question is also good. This is a good situation to use negative expressions:

Those pieces don't match. They don't go together. They don't fit

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .