I doubt I can use the word 'forces' in a political context (neither Lexico nor Google News supports this view). How can I substitute it? 'Parties' is too narrow. Parties, voting blocs, and whatnot — how do you describe it collectively? As in

center-right/center-left etc. forces

  • I’d need more context to be sure, but “groups” or “elements” may be what you’re looking for.
    – StephenS
    Aug 20, 2020 at 2:45
  • Possibly "factions," but I agree that this question needs more context
    – Katy
    Aug 20, 2020 at 2:52
  • Definitely could use more context. One option is to drop the noun altogether and treat "centre-right/centre-left" as a noun instead.
    – rjpond
    Aug 20, 2020 at 7:26

1 Answer 1


I don't get why you discard the word forces so easily.

What about the 4.4 in Lexico, the dictionary that you mentioned?

A group of people brought together and organized for a particular activity.

Such activity may be making America great again or supporting medicare for all, for example. A specific party and its supporters, or even a faction (as suggested by Katy) inside a party, can be described as a force.

In some of the examples provided in the linked page, you can find a "political context"

In reality, it brought together some of the world's most socially conservative religious forces

You haven't shown us the full context, the sentence that you want to write using the term that you're looking for. Maybe if you improve your question adding a bit of information about that, you can get a better help.

  • 1
    “Forces” is often short for armed forces. If you’re in a context where that could make sense, another word would be preferred.
    – StephenS
    Aug 20, 2020 at 13:32
  • I don't have meaning 4.4 (jpeg.im/gltp). I guess it's in the BrE version Aug 20, 2020 at 15:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .