When reading articles like magazines and newspapers, we see a lot of people's names there, but how people are referred to varies. The following are some of the most common ones.
- First name alone
- First name + Last name
- Last name alone
- Title (Mr/Mrs/Ms etc.) + Last name
- Title (Mr/Mrs/Ms etc.) + First name + Last name
And below are some actual examples. (US President Donald Trump's case)
- Donald Trump is a man who prefers plain speaking to the language of diplomacy. (BBC)
- Trump says there's no question the coronavirus 'will go away'(CNBC)
- Mr Trump arrived for his first visit to the UK as president on 12 July. (BBC)
- President Trump Said He’s Considering Defunding The World Health Organization Over Coronavirus Response (Forbs)
- President Donald Trump reiterated Wednesday that the coronavirus will "go away," (CNBC)
Are there any commonly-accepted rules about how we should refer to people in a statement?