Is there an adjective that relates to 'hair'? We have adjectives for other parts of body like oral for mouth, corporal for body, dental for teeth etc.

For example, for the disorder of mouth, we'd say oral disorder. For the disorder of hair, "(?) disorder" (other than 'hair disorder').

Does English have an adjective for 'hair'?


1 Answer 1


The word you seek is pilar.

Merriam-Webster defines the word pilar to mean:

of or relating to the hair or a hair

Another seemingly less common term is crinal:

of or relating to the hair

I say "less common" having observed the following Ngram:

enter image description here

Interestingly, there may be a slight difference in meaning between the two, indicated in the pages of James Cowles Prichard's Researches Into the Physical History of Mankind, Volume 1:

For the sake of facilitating comparison, I shall divide the hair into crinal and pilar, terming crinal that of the head, beard, &c., and pilar that which grows upon the trunk, particularly on the breast and on the limbs.

As pointed out in the comments, however, hair itself cannot suffer from a disorder as it is not living.

Yes, English has at least two adjectives for hair, and they are pilar and crinal.

P.S. I used the Reverse Dictionary to find these terms. You might find it helpful in future.

  • Great find, but it should be pointed out that these are technical terms the average person wouldn’t know.
    – StephenS
    Sep 9, 2020 at 23:32
  • @StephenS Indeed, they could be considered medical jargon. I couldn't find a more common term unfortunately, except for maybe the phrase "of hair", if that counts. Sep 10, 2020 at 0:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .