I'm looking for and adjective which would describe someone who cares about something deeply, say grammar, and therefore is irritated by every little mistake when you write some text together. Something like "excessively prudent".

  • 10
    pedantic sounds close enough. Commented Sep 29, 2020 at 10:14
  • 1
    There is the slang term grammar nazi also for your specific example.
    – ermanen
    Commented Jun 22, 2022 at 9:42

3 Answers 3


Pedantic is precisely the word for this. Webster adds the following note:

Pedantic is an insulting word used to describe someone who annoys others by correcting small errors, caring too much about minor details, or emphasizing their own expertise especially in some narrow or boring subject matter.


I think these words are close enough: fastidious - conservative

  • 4
    I don't think conservative is a good match - it's more about not liking change or new things than being excessively scrupulous. fastidious is better, although it doesn't have a negative connotation OP seems to imply. Commented Sep 29, 2020 at 10:43

Priggish, prig (noun) (chiefly British)--Disapproving attitude of someone who annoys people by being very careful about proper behavior and by criticising the behavior of other people, e.g. 'Princess Margaret was always a bit of a prig.'

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .