A wrote:
"I have a web page that is stylized with CSS".

B wrote:
"I have a web page that is stylised with CSS".
(Chrome's spell-checker is already complaining about "stylised)

C wrote:
"I have a web page that is styled by CSS".

Which is correct/is there a "correcter" (I know: "better") sentence?

A web page is something that a browser shows.
CSS is part of the logic that sets/changes the default style of all/portions of the web page.
(basics, and as best as I can explain...)

PS suggest edit to title...

  • 1
    I don't think styled or stylized (UK spelling stylised) are suitable verbs for this context. Consider alternatives such as formatted using or created with. There is the usage styled after [X], but that specifically means giving the appearance [of being an actual X], so it your context it would have to imply using some system that was just like CSS (but not the real thing, so it might not work properly with all software). Oct 1, 2020 at 12:30
  • 1
    @FumbleFingersReinstateMonica, Thank you. "formatted" sound good, however, CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets.
    – iAmOren
    Oct 1, 2020 at 13:29
  • Styled is fine but stylized is definitely wrong. Style as a verb means "to give a particular style to". Stylized means done according to an unnatural, often traditional or conventionalized style, and is mostly used in art history and criticism.
    – Stuart F
    Aug 25, 2023 at 13:29

3 Answers 3


There is no difference in tense, all three sentences use the present tense in both the main clause "I have" and the relative clause "that is ..."

There is a choice of verb "stylize/stylise" (these are just spelling variants, the first is more common in the US, the second in the UK, though "-ize" would be not be incorrect in the UK either) or "style".

Dictionaries say that "stylize" can mean "to give something a distinctive appearance" and "style" can mean "to arrange something so it appears attractive". Web searches find examples of both "stylize with CSS" and "style with CSS"

Conclusion: you can use any of those three forms.

Personally I prefer "style with CSS", websearches suggest that this is used in more formal contexts (books, guides to webpage design), whereas "stylize" tends to get used in more informal contexts (web forums, questions/answer sites)


I've almost always seen stylized to refer to use of a particular style, especially one that aims for a rudimentary effect, at the opposite end of the spectrum from, say, photorealism -- something like the icons for restrooms or "children at play" street signs.

And I usually see the verb style and the past-participle styled with CSS. So the latter seems the better choice.


A's text is correct since "stylized" is properly spelled and the styling of the page is accomplished "with" CSS.

B's text misspells stylized as "stylised" which is incorrect.

C's text is technically incorrect as CSS does not style anything. The page designer does the styling using or "with" CSS and possibly some other methods.

While this usage is incorrect, most listeners would likely discern its meaning correctly.

  • Thank you. However, once the page designer is done, each load of the page "is styled by" the CSS. The action was done once by the designer. The action is always done by CSS. "The roof is accessible by the elevator" not "The roof is accessibilized by the elevator" (if "accessibilized" was a word") = my point: The architect is no longer a part of the building, it's elevator, and the roof. The architect didn't even build the building...
    – iAmOren
    Oct 1, 2020 at 13:26
  • 1
    I disagree with that. If style is to web page as design is to building, then a building will always have been designed by that architect. Same with a web page. The styling was done by a designer with CSS.
    – jwh20
    Oct 1, 2020 at 13:32
  • Perhaps my architect/building/etc. example wasn't comparable. However: "The page is rendered with styling being done by CSS"... At least we agree on NOT "stylised with"... If the person attempting to correct the sentence where this all started would have corrected "color" to "colour", then that would be Brittish-English where "stylised" is correct, as I'm being told here in comments/answers.
    – iAmOren
    Oct 1, 2020 at 13:40
  • 1
    It was complicated enough with "with" and "by" - now I have to add "via" to the mix?!? :) And if "In this case via means by way of", then "styled by [way of] CSS". Right?
    – iAmOren
    Oct 1, 2020 at 14:24
  • 1
    "B's text misspells stylized as "stylised" which is incorrect." - Cambridge lists stylised as the usual BrE usage. (Also I do like styled more in this context - it avoids confusion with the other meaning of stylized, ie. "depicted in an unnatural manner"). Mar 2, 2021 at 23:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .