When a horse is running, if the hairs on the back of their neck are long, they "float" in the air.

What is the better word for "float"? I cannot think of any, and I cannot find a suitable search string on the net.

I have in mind also "flutter", "wave", but they seem equally bad.

Does the same verb apply to the movement of the tail hairs, as well the hairs of a person with long hair?

Side question: does the same verb apply to a flag in the wind?

  • 2
    Those hairs are the horse's mane. We speak of a flying mane. Commented Oct 6, 2020 at 12:05
  • A flag is said to be flying when it has been hoisted on a flagpole. If it's visibly moving in the wind, it could be described as fluttering. Waving is mainly what you do with a flag you are holding in your hand. Commented Oct 6, 2020 at 13:55
  • So the flag which is just hanging on the flagpole, with no wind and no movement, is still "flying"?
    – virolino
    Commented Oct 6, 2020 at 14:01
  • @virolino For a person to “fly” a flag means to put it up on a flagpole, regardless of the wind. The flag itself is only flying if there is wind. Only the latter sense would apply to a mane.
    – StephenS
    Commented Oct 6, 2020 at 14:50

1 Answer 1


The "hairs on the back of a horse's neck" are called its mane.

Looking for "mane VERB" in the iWeb corpus, the only word that comes up with this meaning is mane flowing.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .