Some clothes (especially shawls) have at the edge kind of decorative part (see the picture attached here) of which kind of threads falls down.

What is called?

N.b. I don't know its name in my native language, otherwise, I'd check the dictionary.

enter image description here, enter image description here

  • They might be tassels
    – Peter
    Oct 10, 2020 at 3:04

2 Answers 2


There may be other words, but it's a fringe:

Google "fringed scarf"


Individually each one is a tassel

Collectively the line of tassels is a fringe.


  • 1
    A tassel has a knot at one end; if that is not present, the elements of a fringe are called something else, e.g. twists, threads, or strips. Oct 10, 2020 at 10:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .