What would most Americans call this: A pram, a stroller, or a baby carriage? Or something else?

enter image description here

  • @JamesK That question is about British English and this question is about American English, which use different words for this.
    – Laurel
    Oct 18, 2020 at 18:09
  • 1
    If you read the answers, they cover both dialects
    – James K
    Oct 18, 2020 at 18:39

3 Answers 3


They might call it any of those, but stroller is the US term. If you were to call this a stroller in the UK it would be very unusual.

Your intended area may have its own preference, other names include:

  • buggy
  • pram
  • push chair

Baby carriage would be understood but very old fashioned.

Which one to use?

Choose Stroller in the USA, and either pram or push chair elsewhere. Regionally people may disagree but you will discover this quickly and people will generally understand.

  • The pictured item is certainly not a buggy, nor a push chair (as it is for newborns to lie flat, not for older babies to sit in)
    – James K
    Oct 18, 2020 at 18:03
  • I've seen items such as the one pictured that tilt so that the child can sit up, and I've seen numerous english speaking people in England name them that way even when they are strictly for newborns to lie flat. Without knowing the precise model number pictured you cannot be sure ( and plenty of people would still call it such ). Case in point if you search for baby carriage you get plenty of models that cannot lay flat with baby carriage in their product name Oct 18, 2020 at 18:08

The picture shows two items that can be purchased independently, or combined as a "travel system". British English uses several names interchangeably for the base / carrycot / whole system and the same may be true for US English.

The US online retailer Amazon lists similar items advertised as "strollers" and "bassinets". "Travel systems" are also mentioned.

enter image description here

US consumers may (and this is my speculation) use some terms interchangeably and sometimes inaccurately as we frequently do in England. For example, British people would happily call this a pushchair (even though it's not a chair) unless accuracy was paramount. e.g. "Darling, we need to buy a replacement carrycot for the stroller / pushchair."


Most Americans prefer to call it "a stroller", because "a pram" is a British English and "baby carriage" is an English understand

I doesn't matter what most Americans call it, but the fact the meaning are the same

  • 4
    I don't know what you mean by "is an English understand".
    – Colin Fine
    Oct 18, 2020 at 16:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .