How to describe word formatting changes automatically and unexpectedly? Sometimes when we use another PC to open a word file, formatting changes automatically and unexpectedly due to word version difference. How do describe this automatic and unexpected change? Like formatting is off?

  • There is a Japanese word that has been adopted into English: mojibake, for the specific case where a character set is misinterpreted. For example, when an accented character like á gets turned into something nonsensical like � throughout the entire document. – Canadian Yankee Oct 27 at 20:29

Usually this is a bad thing. I'd say that the document is (or has been) messed up.

Did you get my resume?
Yes, but I had trouble reading it. It was all messed up.
Oh no, what was the problem?
I think you must have used a special font that I don't have.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.