enter image description here

In front of houses or buildings people have these structures like the one in the above picture. There is an enclosure and flowers are planted in there.

What is the edge of that enclosure called in everyday conversation?

Is it called "the ledge/edge of a flower enclosure"?

2 Answers 2


Its a "window box" (if it is hung outside a window) or a planter.

I've spoken Engish for over 40 years and in all that time I can't ever needed to refer particularly to the "edge" in contrast to what? the side? the contents?

There's an interesting bug on the window box.
Where, I can't see it.
Just there, on the edge.

I suppose that makes sense.

  • You'd say lip, as I put in my answer. The exact phrase "lip of the planter" appears hundreds of thousands of times in a google search. Commented Oct 27, 2020 at 20:25

As James K says, the "flower enclosure" is called a planter or a window box.

The usual term for the edge would be the lip, which can be defined as "the edge of a hollow vessel or cavity." Here's an example of how you'd use the word, from the website of a company that sells planters:

Begin planting in the center of the pot and work outward, and make sure that the soil level stays 1-2 inches below the lip of the planter.

  • It could also be called the rim. You see this particularly used in "rolled rim" styles, where the flowerpot or window box has an edge that's a little bit thicker and more rounded.
    – Katy
    Commented Oct 27, 2020 at 23:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .