I know that there are phrasal verbs like loop up, look out, Pass away, etc. But, I want to know what this type of words are called which are made up of two complete English words: overrun, outnumbered, turnover, etc. and these group of words are single word and not hyphenated words.

  • The correct construction is this type of word or these types of words Commented Oct 28, 2020 at 23:09
  • @RonaldSole Isn't this type of words correct? They are collection of particular type and that type is only one (compound type).
    – CaWo
    Commented Oct 28, 2020 at 23:54
  • I put both queries into Google Books Ngram Viewer. The construction this type of word was approximately 5 times as popular as this type of words. The latter sounds foreign to my ears but I leave it to wiser souls to judge. books.google.com/ngrams/… Commented Oct 29, 2020 at 19:20

1 Answer 1


These are called compound words.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .