I'm not thinking of ingredients, more like components - i.e. it's what a glazing is to a cake.

What I mean is a part of a dish, not a part of the text of the recipe. The word I'm looking for is something like "half-product" but I was wondering if there's a term for that in cooking

  • A glazing is a glazing. Glazing/frosting are a category in baking.
    – Lambie
    Apr 9, 2021 at 20:19
  • 1
    You could generically refer to glazing as a step of the recipe. Almost all written, itemized, instructions could be described as being composed of steps.
    – EllieK
    Jan 27 at 13:16
  • Component is probably the word you are looking for. You already used it in your question. Other possible synonyms are: part, piece, element.
    – Billy Kerr
    May 28 at 11:05

1 Answer 1


I don't think there is a generic word, other than component. E.g. this cupcake recipe has two components: the frosting and the cake.

  • One might also use the trm "element" or just "part" in place of "component" with much the same meaning. Jan 27 at 16:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .