How so I say that a table is in contact with the wall? Should I say that the table is on the wall? table

  • 2
    As in the question title: "The table is touching the wall," or "The table is standing/placed against the wall." The table is not on the wall though: that would be like a surrealist painting. Nov 10, 2020 at 11:20
  • Thanks that's what I wanted to know that I can use the word against there
    – coolguy
    Nov 10, 2020 at 11:21

2 Answers 2


You can say the table is against the wall or it is touching the wall. If you want to emphasise that it is in contact with the wall over the whole of a side as opposed to just a corner being in contact you might say it is flush against the wall.

If you take the table out into the garden and for some reason balance it on a low wall then on the wall would be possible.


If you are looking for the most descriptive word, the word is abut. You would say, The table abuts the wall. Using abut lets me know that the table and the wall share a border (i.e. the table top is touching the wall). It's a usage that most, but not all, people will understand.

The table touches the wall, works just as well and is a more common usage. It is not as descriptive as abuts. A table leg touching the wall would also qualify as touching.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .