Is there a single word for it? I am trying to think of a word that includes both, but aside cloth I can't think of any. There has to be a more specific word for cloth used for non-clothing stuffs like curtains and tabletop.

  • Linen? Damask? Fabric is named for its weave rather than its colour. Commented Nov 12, 2020 at 0:47
  • Often, the fabric for curtains and upholstery material are slightly different. Though both could be made of cotton or silk....for example.
    – Lambie
    Commented Nov 12, 2020 at 15:54
  • 'Furnishing fabrics'? Commented Apr 2, 2022 at 10:58

2 Answers 2


As a dressmaker, in Brit english there isn't a word for your description, as somebody said there is Linen but that also included bed linen, but doesn't cover curtains as curtains are rarely made from linen.

Linen (/ˈlɪnən/) is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant. Linen is very strong, absorbent, and dries faster than cotton. ... Linen on wiki

Especially as the fabric used for curtains is also used for upholstery because tablecloth fabric is much finer, more like a bedding quality fabric.

  • And muslin too.
    – EllieK
    Commented Feb 16, 2022 at 20:11
  • muslin is a very loose weave not used for either of these purposes
    – WendyG
    Commented Feb 17, 2022 at 22:31

"A cloth that's used in both tablecloths and curtains" doesn't exactly narrow it down uniquely, but you may be thinking of linen.

  • Linen is, however, a fairly common fabric used for clothing. Commented Nov 12, 2020 at 4:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .