What word describes the feeling of "shocked by some great things and humbled and overwhelming" ?

I vaguely remember a word which sounds like "contaminated" .

For example, one can say " I am "contaminated" by the great mother nature."

3 Answers 3


If you were humbled by great things, such as nature, you were awed. Lexico has


Inspire with awe.
they were both awed by the vastness of the forest

If you were also shocked, then you were overawed. Lexico has


Impress (someone) so much that they are silent or inhibited.
the eleven-year-old was overawed by the atmosphere


I am overawed by the great Mother Nature.

It does not begin with 'c' though.


I don't know what word you've forgotten, but the meaning might be summed up in the phrase "bowled over"; since that is a bit informal, here are some search results for synonyms of it:
Merriam-Webster "bowled over"

amazed, astonished, astounded, awestruck (also awestricken), dumbfounded (also dumfounded), dumbstruck, flabbergasted, shocked, stunned, stupefied, thunderstruck

From "wordhippo", "Confounded with surprise or wonder", floored, gobsmacked, speechless, staggered

The only one that starts with "c" is "confounded", which more often has a negative sense.

Another "c" word is "captivated"; that might fit as well.

  • 1
    I think you should promote confounded in this answer, since the OP's 'contaminated' is negative too. Nov 13, 2020 at 14:26
  • @ Weather Vane - I agree. IMH, "confounded" is much more suitable than "bowled over" Nov 13, 2020 at 14:30
  • I wasn't suggesting "bowled over", only using it as a key to search for synonyms. I agree "confounded" could be a good choice, used carefully. Nov 13, 2020 at 14:34

I think I have what you're looking for: "intimidated"

frightened or nervous because you are not confident in a situation: Older people can feel very intimidated by computers.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .