I was reading a standard (DS-1 Drill Stem Inspection) and I saw the following sentence:

The reference standard for flux leakage transverse flaw detection units shall be a through-wall drilled hole standard prepared from a length of pipe of the same nominal diameter as the pipe to be inspected.The hole size shall be 1/16 inch, ±1/64 inch indiameter.

I couldn't completely understand the word "through-wall hole".
what has me confused is this: does The hole have to go completely through the body of the pipe(as in you can see through it) or does it mean that "put your drill bit perpendicular to body of the pipe and make an arbitrary hole depth with the specified diameter"?

  • I see nothing in those words to suggest perpendicular or partial depth. I would understand "through-wall hole" to mean all the way through the wall. Caveat: I know nothing about the technical topic of that standard.
    – AdrianHHH
    Dec 13, 2020 at 9:45
  • @AdrianHHH We were checking some pipes against this standard and saw a manufacturer making partial holes (they are one of the big ones), while others are making complete(through) holes in their pipes. It got me thinking which one is the correct one.
    – Abol_Fa
    Dec 13, 2020 at 10:36
  • Perhaps you should find a Q&A website or forum related to that sort of pipes and their quality standards.
    – AdrianHHH
    Dec 13, 2020 at 20:00


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .