I am looking for a word indicating that I am interested in working in a workshop, meaning working with machines, wood carpentry, metal carpentry, even making automatons, and making stuff with hands. I am going to add this to the interests part of my C.V.

  • Are you trying to express your interest in that as opposed to working in an office?
    – Laurent S.
    Commented Dec 17, 2020 at 21:35
  • Something like "industrial arts"?
    – Conrado
    Commented Dec 18, 2020 at 2:33
  • You are covering quite a few different skills. Machining metal parts, carpentry, and pottery are all different things. I wouldn't look for one word to summarize. I would list the specific things I was interested in, much as you already have done in your question. There is a chance that a summarizing word may be incorrectly interpreted and skimmed over.
    – EllieK
    Commented Oct 28, 2021 at 14:56

3 Answers 3


Woodworking, whether by machine or by hand carving, metalworking whether by machining or welding are all handiwork. As is knitting and sewing. People with such skills are called craftsmen. Or if you prefer; craftspeople, and their ability is called craftsmanship.


The word you need might be

manufacturing. The link is from dictionary.com


Working with lathes and mills to cut and shape metal is called "machining."

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .