In subjective relative clauses, we can left out the relative pronoun and end its verb using "ing". For example:

I can’t find my notebook that contains all my addresses.

I can’t find my notebook containing all my addresses.

But what if the verb does not have a progressive form such as "have", "like", etc. For instance:

I can’t find my notebook that have all my addresses.

Can we use this reduced form?

I can’t find my notebook having all my addresses.

  • I find the question a little confusing. Have and like do have progressive forms (present participles): having and liking. I guess you mean that they are not normally used in the present continuous if they describe states. Also, these nonfinite RCs with present participles sound wrong after my + noun. What sounds more normal is I can't find that notebook [of mine] containing all the addresses.
    – legatrix
    Dec 18, 2020 at 12:56
  • But to answer your question, no, you can't say ...that notebook having all my addresses, for the same reason that you can't say I'm having blonde hair.
    – legatrix
    Dec 18, 2020 at 12:57
  • @legatrix thanks. Could you please explain about the following sentence and how the word "have" has been used? "I remember having an opinion on this debate".
    – M.H
    Dec 18, 2020 at 20:10
  • Yes. In this case, the -ing form is used because remember requires it. It has nothing to do with the normal continuous tense forms. You can tell this because it means the same as "I remember the opinion I had"; you don't say "I remember the opinion I was having".
    – legatrix
    Dec 18, 2020 at 20:12


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .