Let's consider two phrases below:
- What makes an effective manager
- What is project management
They both have the same grammar structure: what + verb + noun.
The first phrase can either be a question
- What makes an effective manager?
or a noun phrase
- What makes an effective manager is planning skills.
The second phrase can be a question too
- What is project management?
But how do I make it be a noun phrase, similar to the first phrase's noun phrase?
Applying the same pattern gives
- What is project management is the application of methods, skills and knowledge to achieve project's objectives.
but I suppose that this sentence is grammatically incorrect.