enter image description here

The sign that expresses broadcasting is on progress.

  • What do you call it. Does it have a special name other than "on air sign/light"
    – James K
    Dec 24, 2020 at 8:58
  • We just call it 온에어 ('on-air'). 온에어에 불이 들어오다 ('on-air' is lighting up').
    – user126927
    Dec 24, 2020 at 9:05
  • I see you use a phonetic rather than a literal translation. That is just "on air" spelled in hangul.
    – James K
    Dec 24, 2020 at 9:09
  • Yes! you got it.
    – user126927
    Dec 24, 2020 at 9:12

1 Answer 1


There is no special name for it - it is often called an "on-air light" (as it lights up) in radio stations. In recording studios, the equivalent is just referred to as "the red light" or "the recording light".

Recording artists who suffer from nerves in the studio are said to have "red light fever".

  • For what it's worth, searching for "on-air light broadcasting" brings up lots of trade supply results that use that name. I'm not sure if there's another specific term for it (and some places do just use a plain light, not a sign) but "on-air sign" would be how most ordinary people would describe it, I think! Dec 24, 2020 at 12:05
  • @cactustictacs If you're looking to purchase one, it may be called a 'sign', but once in use it is definitely a 'light'. As a sign, it will always read 'on air' - what matters in use is whether the light is on or off.
    – Astralbee
    Dec 24, 2020 at 12:16
  • 1
    Oh I just mean it's not always actually a sign that says ON AIR, sometimes it's just a light bulb above a door, but either way it's an "on-air" light, like you say, and "on-air thing" is how it's described on trade sites. I wasn't disagreeing, just backing up your answer Dec 24, 2020 at 12:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .