What do you call an arched entrance to a garden? I am not sure if there's a word specifically for garden entrances, but I am willing to bet there's a word for an arched entrance like that. What do you call it?

  • I'd just call it a "fence gate". Maybe "a fence gate under an arch".
    – Eddie Kal
    Commented Jan 19, 2021 at 2:55
  • 1
    Eddie's answer may be correct for the US, but I (BrE) would call it a garden gate with an arch. You may find this reference useful for garden terms: edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep432
    – JavaLatte
    Commented Jan 19, 2021 at 3:03
  • You could refer to it as a lych gate, but this term is mainly used for the entrance to a churchyard, and normally has a waterproof roof. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychgate
    – JavaLatte
    Commented Jan 19, 2021 at 3:28

1 Answer 1


I call it an archway, or An arch over an entrance or passageway but those can vary a lot in size and materials. If you are speaking very specifically about an arched entry into a garden, I would call it a garden arch or an arbor.

Arbor was the first thing I thought of, but in my mind, it is always meant to be covered in some sort of climbing plant, and it’s not always over a passageway. Arbors can be set over a bench to provide a nice shady place to sit.

Like most words in English, the choice of which one works best depends on the context.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .