Is there a noun in English for a hysterical person? As far as I have gathered from dictionaries, "hysterical" is only an adjective. It is not a noun.

So, is there any noun that would fit in instead "hysterical person"

For example,

"Why are you right away starting shouting? Can't you explain things to him in a calmer way? You are such a ______________ !"

  • 1
    "Drama queen" is the only term immediately coming to mind, though it's certainly very informal. I couldn't find any really good synonyms for that when I went hunting, either. Also - I know this isn't the point of your question, but I can't help myself - if this is for an actual conversation, then insulting somebody while asking them to speak calmly is not an advisable strategy.
    – Emmabee
    Feb 6, 2021 at 4:25

2 Answers 2


I believe "hysteric" is the word that you are looking for.It's a noun that describes a person suffering from hysteria

  • Surprisingly, the answer was even closer that I thought!
    – brilliant
    Feb 6, 2021 at 14:19

lunatic - emphasis on being irrational

nut or nutcase- a foolish, eccentric, or crazy person

bully - emphasizes aggression

loudmouth - given to loud, offensive talk

I prefer this: loudmouthed nutcase.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .