On the Internet, I found the phrase

Function changes a short abbreviation into a text block

For instance, an abbreviation of "US" changes to "United States".

I feel there should be a single verb to express this act. But I can't find it.

In some other languages, e.g. in Russian, Ukrainian, there is such a word with the meaning of "open", "unveil", "open out", "open up", "release". Like a flower or locked box opening. What is it in English? Or would any of the mentioned words work?

  • Got it from first google search: "antonym of abbreviate" (google.com/…)
    – user119042
    Commented Feb 10, 2021 at 13:32
  • @Sphinx I've never used the verb "abbreviate" before. Thank you!
    – HoRn
    Commented Feb 10, 2021 at 16:04

1 Answer 1


It is called expanding the abbreviation.

  • expand v 3 b : to write out in full. Expand all abbreviations (Merriam-Webster)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .