I'm developing a 3D printing software, where people can color different layers before printing, so it gets printed in colors they want. But I don't know how to name these "parts" in the user interface.

For a better understanding imagine a lighthouse: Text

How is a single white (or red) "part" called correct?

I found different synonyms online (slice, fragment, section, piece, segment, etc), but I'm not sure which to use.

  • In literal terms there's no such thing as "the white part" - that's effectively an "artefact" that arises when we look at the picture (which happens to include several different white things). But in the context of pictures and "image processing" software such as Photoshop, you might well have a white layer in your source data file. – FumbleFingers Feb 10 at 17:02
  • 1
    I'd call it a stripe (or just a [white/red] bit). – Void Feb 10 at 17:05
  • If you are interested enough in the topic to create relevant software, then I imagine you are reading way more about it than average people. You should be in a position to see how other insider-to-3D-printing people may call this feature. – Levente Feb 10 at 19:37
  • In the meanwhile I like section and segment from your collection; maybe I would suggest range too... – Levente Feb 10 at 19:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.