I have two sentences where I am not sure, whether I can omit an article or not. This is maybe bordering on stylistic choice:
"The rising sea quenched the fires of the last great war and the remnants of yesterday became islands in an ocean of oblivion. And
- last shelter for survivors clinging to life." [No article]
- the last shelter for survivors clinging to live."
- one last shelter for survivors clinging to live."
- a last shelter for survivors clinging to life."
"A world without pastures, without flocks, without
- a god."
Notice: I'm not using God as the Christian name/adress for the God (like "please, God, help me"), but referring to it as Generic term, like
- a town without (a) maior
- a story without (a) hero
- a crime without (a) victim
In German the articles would be omitted in those cases.