What are the common terms for these kinds of notebooks?

For the one that has lines: enter image description here

And for the one that has squares: enter image description here

  • Those are not notebooks. They are types of sheets in a pad. yellow pads are the most well known.
    – Lambie
    Feb 15, 2021 at 15:38

4 Answers 4


In British English the first is feint-ruled paper or simply ruled paper.

English: feint-ruled paper Definition of 'feint-ruled paper' feint-ruled paper in British English (ˈfeɪntˌruːld ˈpeɪpə) NOUN writing paper with light horizontal lines printed across at regular intervals Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

Feint-ruled paper or simply ruled paper

enter image description here

Squared paper

enter image description here

Graph paper

enter image description here

  • Ruled paper is the same in the US, too. I am going to start only posting BrE responses.
    – Lambie
    Feb 16, 2021 at 14:32

I would call the first one a lined notebook and the second a grid notebook.


I know the first one as ruled paper, supported by Lexico and Merriam-Webster:

(of paper) marked with parallel straight lines

I know the squared one as quadrille paper, supported by Lexico and Merriam-Webster:

Marked with squares or rectangles

It differs from graph paper by being evenly ruled, whereas graph paper has stronger 5th and/or 10th lines.


legal pad

Definition of legal pad : a writing tablet of ruled yellow paper that is usually 8.5 by 14 inches (about 22 by 36 centimeters) [term: ruled paper]

Merriam Webster.

[Term] The other is graph or grid paper.

graph or grid paper

This latter one can be looseleaf or in a notebook. The first only comes as a pad or tablet.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .