Which word should 'enable' agree here with. Should it be 'rule'(singular) or 'us'(plural)?
- Using this rule enables us to do X.
- Using this rule enable us to do X.
Another example where it's reversed - 'switches'(plural), 'the program'(Singular).
- Using these switches enables the program.
- Using these switches enable the program.
I had asked a similar question in here before which had this forward/backward agreement issue, here is another example I found:
- How many people have voted? (Backward agreement, subject precedes verb)
- "How many people has he helped?" (Forward agreement, subject succeeds verb)
How do I find the subject and the respective verb it should agree with in sentences like these?