Is there a word (adjective) to describe a man who is very sparing in his words and often unclear. He leaves few words to describe a requirement. Often he misses to put references and/or examples in order to better elicit what he wants - and he assumes we can read his mind.

Like concise - but without being clear :)

  • 2
    synonym tight-lipped reticent, taciturn, uncommunicative, unforthcoming, unresponsive, close-mouthed, close-lipped, silent, quiet, unspeaking, guarded,... Feb 17, 2021 at 13:50
  • The first word that sprung to my mind was taciturn. Feb 17, 2021 at 13:53
  • 1
    @FeliniusRex - for some reason the first word that sprung to my mind was laconic. Feb 19, 2021 at 1:04

1 Answer 1


The first word that sprung to my mind was elliptical, which can mean:

of, relating to, or marked by extreme economy of speech or writing

of or relating to deliberate obscurity (as of literary or conversational style)

This adjective is usually applied to a particular speech, not to a person, so if you wanted to say that someone is always doing this, you could say something like,

As usual, his explanation was so elliptical that it was incomprehensible.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .