I'm hungarian, and I'm writing my CV in english. I'd like to append my "advanced-level" graduation of economics to it, and I don't know how to formulate it. I'm worried that if I'm not formulating it well, it can come across as a BSc degree or something.

The term in my native language what I'm looking the translation for is "emeltfokú érettségi közgazdaságtanból".

Here's how the hungarian system works: hungarian graduation system on wiki about hungarian graduating system

  • From the relevant Wikipedia page: Matura is a matriculation examination and can be compared to A-Level exams, the Abitur or the Baccalauréat. But "A-Levels" are part of the British educational system. I don't know the terminology of the nearest equivalent for Americans. Feb 19, 2021 at 14:59
  • You might want to find a common equivalent understood in the West, otherwise you would need to attach a Hungarian graduating system explanation to your CV... Feb 19, 2021 at 14:59
  • @AndrewTobilko yeah, that's what I'm looking for
    – zoldseges
    Feb 19, 2021 at 15:03
  • @FumbleFingers I'm American, so I have only a vague understanding of A-Levels based on a bit of Googling, but I honestly don't even think we have anything directly comparable. The closest thing functionally might be the SAT, but the SAT is a lot more general and less subject-specific.
    – stangdon
    Feb 19, 2021 at 16:14
  • @stangdon: I suppose by definition, Standard Assessment Tests are supposed to move us towards a unified system. We now have such things in the UK, I believe. But I thought High School Diploma might be where Americans top out if they don't go on to actual "higher education" (a degree course, which may or may not be comparable even between different universities, let along different countries). Feb 19, 2021 at 16:21

1 Answer 1


I got some help from an English teacher, her answer was: "Advanced level of Economics high-school certificate"

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .