When you hectically visit multiple places in a short span of time (when you need to buy something, for example), what do you call it? Is it called "running around [places]"? Like

She was [running around] shops trying to find the best present for her fiancee for Christmas.

  • scurrying around the shops
    – Lambie
    Feb 19, 2021 at 18:06
  • 1
    Rushing round the shops? NB Unless 'she' is marrying another woman, it's fiancé (the French masculine form). Feb 19, 2021 at 19:43

1 Answer 1


Your example works well and suggests visiting many shops in a short period of time. (As a comment says, insert "the" before "shops" in your example.

The context that you supply helps with this interpetation. If you just said "She was running around the shops." It wouldn't be clear. This could just mean "she was exercising by jogging on the High Street."

But the context clarifies your meaning.

  • 1
    I agree, although I would mention adding "the" to the OP's original version, "She was running around the shops". However this depends on context. Feb 19, 2021 at 18:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .