When a politician stresses a particular issue (corruption, poverty, illegal immigration, and so forth), what do you call it? I considered 'talking point', 'selling point', 'agenda', but none of them seems to fit. For example

Racial inequality has become the candidate's prime _________ during the congressional campaign.

I guess you could say 'point of agenda', but I don't like it. It's like I forgot some natural way of saying it.

  • 2
    [stresses out?? Nyet, no] You mean stresses an issue.
    – Lambie
    Feb 28 at 17:03
  • @Lambie Ok 4 more to go... Feb 28 at 17:06
  • 3
    Politicians (in the US) run on political platforms. platforms are divided into planks. However, I'd use prime focus in that sentence....
    – Lambie
    Feb 28 at 17:09
  • Like Lambie, I would use 'focus' in your sentence.
    – Void
    Feb 28 at 17:31
  • @Void Is there a more specific word/phrase? I like 'platform'. Maybe, it's what I tried to remember in the first place Feb 28 at 17:53

I'd go for a word you already mentioned: issue. That's a word with many (related) meanings, but the widespread use of terms like single-issue in politics makes it a natural choice here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.