enter image description here

Is there a specific term for this or do we just use the word soil?

1 Answer 1


I would call it a "bed". That is often preceded by "flower", suggesting that the soil in question is used for annual and perennial flowers. But I've frequently heard it used without the "flower" qualifier to refer to areas of soil used for shrubs.

Another option, if the soil is at the edge of an area of grass, is "border".

Both "bed" and "border" can be used in singular form or, by adding an "s" in plural.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .