We say "turn the volume of the TV up/down".

Do we say "turn the strength of the fan up/down" as the fan has a few buttons for you to adjust the strength of the air blow?

1 Answer 1


Sure, why not?

turn up

to increase the amount of sound, heat, or light produced by a piece of equipment by pressing a button or moving a switch

"The amount of airflow" isn't on the list, but it's a rather natural extension of that definition. You can either turn the strength of the fan up, or, more naturally, just turn the fan up.

  • (also, it's a little funny to me that the definition includes buttons and switches, but not dials - y'know, the things that actually turn). Commented Mar 9, 2021 at 2:51
  • 2
    I would use speed rather than strength. Commented Mar 9, 2021 at 9:22
  • @KateBunting - Agreed. I've never heard anyone use fan strength in place of fan speed. Never.
    – EllieK
    Commented Mar 9, 2021 at 13:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .