We had a small news van while they had a large _______________.

Is there a vehicle larger than a van that is used about a news station vehicle? Is a news truck basically the same as a news van? What about a news bus? Is that used?

  • 2
    The divisions between van, truck, bus are arbitrary and imprecise. If you want to convey that the vehicle you're talking about is larger than the average "news van" (whatever that means to you), you can call it a "news truck" if you like. And to convey that it holds more people than the "standard" vehicle, you can call it a "news bus". But none of these terms have fixed definitions, so it's basically a matter of opinion. Mar 9, 2021 at 16:32
  • @FumbleFingers A "news bus" doesn't sound to me like a vehicle containing production/broadcast equipment. It sounds more like a metaphor, like "bandwagon." I agree with everything else you said but I can't recommend using this phrase. News truck is fine.
    – TypeIA
    Mar 9, 2021 at 18:40
  • I must admit when I went to check NGrams, I was expecting to see news wagon at least in the running, if not actually more common than news truck. The former is far from unknown, but it's not common enough to show on an NGram chart. Mar 10, 2021 at 12:21

1 Answer 1


There are news trucks. They generally aren't much bigger than news vans, we're talking the difference between, well, literally a van and a box truck. The big exception are the full broadcast equipment trucks used for broadcasting sports and other major events where you need on-premise directors and staff. There's pretty much zero need for those big trucks for regular on-location reporting.

  • Note that 'truck' is mainly American usage. I have seen vehicles called 'trucks' in the US that I would call a 'large van', and what Americans call a 'minivan' we in the UK would call a 'people mover'. Mar 9, 2021 at 19:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .