A paralanguage question.

  1. How do you spell(I’m not sure how to put it into a word; maybe “the ‘tsssp’ sound?”) the noise you make inhaling through your clenched teeth when you think of something?
  2. Does it have a name; what is it called?
  3. Is it common for native English speakers?

I’ve just heard it in this video where American and German women are talking in English. Before I ran into this video on YouTube, I thought it was a Korean thing as I saw many Koreans made that noise, but turned out it was not.

Transcription of the YouTube video “#Hololive #HololiveEnglish #HoloMyth Calli Didn't Realize The Stream Was On...”

Mori Calliope🇺🇸: Yeah, I wonder what we should do.

Takanashi Kiara🇩🇪: Umm.

Mori Calliope🇺🇸: What do you think?

Takanashi Kiara🇩🇪: I mean…, ______ (**the noise**), uh…, it’s, it’s kind of weird to leave it there.

Mori Calliope🇺🇸: Yeah, maybe we should do—, go back and do it again.


1 Answer 1


Chupse might be what you're looking for. Defined by Wikitionary as ‘The sound produced by sucking air between the teeth, expressing displeasure, incredulity, etc’.

(Or ingressive dental fricative in phonetics.)

  • 2
    I'm marking this answer down only because chupse is an incredibly obscure dialect word. (Note that Wiktionary says (Barbados).) It isn't part of the vocabulary of any other dialect as far as I can tell.
    – stangdon
    Commented Mar 27, 2021 at 12:09
  • @stangdon: Sure... an incredibly obscure action must be described by an incredibly obscure word wouldn't you say?
    – Void
    Commented Mar 27, 2021 at 12:26
  • 2
    I don't think the action is incredibly obscure. If you search Google Books for things like sucked air between teeth you find plenty of results, it's just that most dialects of English haven't felt the need for a specific word for it. And even if the action is obscure, I'm not sure how it helps from a communication standpoint to use a word that listeners are not going to understand or be able to find in a dictionary.
    – stangdon
    Commented Mar 27, 2021 at 12:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .