enter image description here

I know this is a pentagram, but I am not sure if there's a general term for images drawn on the floor to perform some kind of ritual. Doesn't have to be a satanic or occult ritual, but any ritual.

  • 1
    If playing hopscotch counts as a "ritual", it's probably worth noting that there is no generally-recognised term for the chalked-out area (some people might called the Hopscotch one a "court", but that's just faute de mieux). In all the "satanic or occult ritual" movie contexts I've ever seen, it's just "the circle" (or maybe pentagram if that's what it is). Commented Mar 27, 2021 at 17:57
  • You call them: ritualistic images drawn on the floor or ground.
    – Lambie
    Commented Mar 27, 2021 at 18:46
  • No, someone found the answer. It was sigil.
    – Sayaman
    Commented Mar 27, 2021 at 19:41

2 Answers 2


A sigil is a word meaning "an inscribed or painted symbol considered to have magical power." The picture you posted might also generically be called a "magic circle."


It could be called a device.

Merriam-Webster has

b something fanciful, elaborate, or intricate in design

and Lexico has

2 a drawing or design

The term is also appropriate because the drawing has a purpose, so it is a device in the more usual sense of the word.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .