Consider the scenario when someone asks me about my academic background
If I reply - I have done undergraduation from university x and post graduation from university y. Is that correct?
or I have done graduation from university x...mainly I am confused between using the words graduation and undergraduation.

  • You were an undergraduate while you were studying for your first degree (that is, a student who has not yet graduated). When you got the degree you graduated. When you started on further studies you became a postgraduate student. You would need to specify what your second degree is (a master's degree or a doctorate). Apr 2, 2021 at 8:27

1 Answer 1


There are a number of ways you can say this. You can try this:

I completed my bachelor's degree from X, and my master's degree [or PhD] from Y.

You can replace "bachelor's" with "undergraduate" and "master's" with "postgraduate" in the above sentence and it would be fine.

Or this:

I did my undergraduate studies at X, and my postgraduate studies at Y.

And not "I have done undergraduation from" ...

  • Thanks. But then what's the difference between saying I did my undergraduation from x and I graduated from x are they both correct ? Apr 2, 2021 at 18:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .