A child is not allowed to study in grade 2 if he/she has not passed all required grade-1 subjects.

Is it correct to say

you won't pass your class if you don't pass all the required subjects


you won't pass your grade if you don't pass all the required subjects

I heard some Americans say "pass your class" but couldn't find that phrase in dictionaries and I am not sure if British people say that too.

I am wonder if "pass your grade" is correct.

What about "move up to higher grade"?

What is the phrase to express a student who didn't pass his class? For example, "he repeated his class", "he repeated his class twice"?

  • It is not said much in British English, since English education is based on years, not grades. You can't get held back in the English system.
    – James K
    Apr 13, 2021 at 7:28

1 Answer 1


For the first question the language I typically encounter is "advance": "You won't advance to 2nd grade if you don't learn this math."

For the last, in typical US usage at least that is called "held back": "John was held back a year in 4th grade."

  • I thought "the 2nd grade", "the 4th grade" sound better
    – Tom
    Apr 13, 2021 at 5:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .