Let's say there is a table or a chair for that matter, which has one of its legs broken a bit at bottom, because of that it is unstable and every time you lean on it wobbles due to lack of balance.

Describing it as unstable or unsteady seems very general, is there any word precisely for this?

  • 5
    Not to mention that “an unstable table” sound like there’s an echo in here in here.
    – tchrist
    Feb 20, 2013 at 2:14
  • 2
    An uns-table...... Oct 25, 2017 at 15:30

3 Answers 3


I think you've got the right word in your question--"wobbly" would be the term I'd use. I just googled it and apparently there's even a website called wobblytables.com. I can't tell if they're serious or not to be honest, but I think the term applies regardless!

  • 3
    Absolutely - and here are over 5000 written instances of "a wobbly table" in Google Books to prove it's a well-used term. Feb 19, 2013 at 22:53
  • 1
    You might also say that the table rocks from side to side.
    – J.R.
    Feb 20, 2013 at 2:08

Rickety is the first word that comes to my mind, but also: rocky, wobbly, shaky, unsteady, jiggly, quaky, quavery, trembly, teetery, tottery.


"Wonky" is a term I like to use in that situation. I think it's British in origin. It's got a tinge of humor as well, as opposed to the more precise words already offered.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .