I have another question that seems to me stupid, but I can't answer it with confidence. When you collect recyclables, then arrive at a special place, and then hand it over (whether in exchange for payment or not), what do you call it? 'Surrender' doesn't work, 'take out' doesn't work, 'hand over' only refers to the physical act of transferring things (whereas I want to imply that it has been accepted, not just that it physically ended up in the hands of a recycling person). It's almost funny, but I struggle to find a good word for this. We have a word 'сдавать' in Russian. It means you hand something over, and it's accepted (luggage, essay, anything). So I need some corresponding term.

  • I don't really see a problem with hand over. How can something be handed over if the recipient has not accepted it?
    – stangdon
    Apr 28, 2021 at 23:13

2 Answers 2


Transfer might be the best word for what you want, because it's very generic but implies that the handoff has been completed.

1a : to convey from one person, place, or situation to another
1b : to cause to pass from one to another


You possibly already mentioned the word you're looking for:


The words you're having trouble with are from the givers perspective, whereas you want a word from the person receiving's perspective.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .