How do you say parrying a sword by slashing your sword on that sword? You know you can block a sword attack by blocking the slash with your swinging your sword at it. Is there a particular word for blocking a sword attack with a sword attack?

  • 2
    The word I'd use is "parry" but you already know that. Is there a term that you use in your language? Failing that, can you give an example sentence with a blank.
    – James K
    May 2, 2021 at 14:19
  • 1
    Can you find an example, maybe a picture or a video, of someone doing this? In my experience as a fencer, this isn't something people do in real swordfighting, so there is not likely to be a term for it.
    – stangdon
    May 2, 2021 at 14:45
  • @stangdon - Here's a video youtu.be/IkDDBL7jNew?t=147 I suspect that in real battles there was a lot of sword-to-sword contact - you're fighting to kill or die. May 2, 2021 at 14:58
  • 2
    How else would you parry the attack? Once must be careful not to over-explain things, such as "cutting the grass with a lawnmower" and "flying to Moscow in an aeroplane" etc. lest people conclude that you think they are stupid. May 2, 2021 at 16:05
  • @chasly-supportsMonica That just looks like parrying to me, not "slashing at the opponent's sword".
    – stangdon
    May 2, 2021 at 16:32

1 Answer 1


"Parry" is the correct term to for defensive move against a fencing attack. However, I wouldn't say it is widely used outside the sport.

If you're looking for an informal, everyday term for the swords hitting together I would say that the two swords "clashed". The word 'clash' literally means to collide with a loud, harsh, usually metallic noise, and through use linked with sword fights it has also come to also mean any kind of fight.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .