In Japanese katakana expressions, food trucks are called kitchen car.

Is kitchen car used in English?

New contributor
tak is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • 2
    I haven't heard it in Australia. – Peter May 4 at 13:09
  • 9
    No, I have never heard one called "kitchen car" in the United States. It's always "food truck" or maybe something with the specific name of the food, like "taco truck". – stangdon May 4 at 13:35
  • 3
    You might hear it in the context of trains. I could imagine someone talking about a "dining car" and then by anology talking about a "kitchen car" which is where the food served in the dining car is prepared. But I don't believe separate food-preparation cars are common, so the term "kitchen car" isn't really something people would commonly say and you may have people think you mean "dining car" instead. It definitely doesn't mean "food truck" in my experience in the south-west of England. – Richard Ward May 4 at 14:14
  • 2
    Some British trains used to have kitchen cars, marshalled next to restaurant cars, where, as @RichardWard says, the food was cooked before being served. BR Mark 1 types, as in the picture, had the code RK, but that's getting a bit esoteric for here. – Michael Harvey May 4 at 14:42
  • @RichardWard Thanks for the info. There are too many "kitchen car"s here in Japan especially in the central part of Tokyo but almost everybody buys lunch from kitchen cars not dinner so that dining car sounds a bit funny. Food truck would be finer. – Kentaro May 4 at 16:57

Your Answer

tak is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.