When roses whither, the petals shrivel and dries up before falling. Is there a word like withering, but doesn't imply that the petals shrivel and dries up? Is there a word that refers to just petals falling like in the beauty in the beast?

1 Answer 1


Looking through the Glossary of botanical terms, I found the term abscission

The normal separation of flowers, fruit, and leaves from plants.

which describes the process you're referring to quite accurately.

  • True, but that is a scientific term - it wouldn't be used in everyday conversation. We can say that the flowers fall or that the petals fall. May 9, 2021 at 8:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .