What is the verb form of newsjacking? Can I say I'll newsjack on his divorce and make some money. I can't find this in the dictionary, though. Could anyone give me some suggestion? Thanks.

  • 3
    I'm a native speaker, and I've never heard the word "newsjack" before.
    – nick012000
    May 10 at 2:03
  • Just thinking in terms of grammar, if a word has an -ing ending, then you are looking at the gerund or participle of a noun, and the base form of the noun is usually whatever is left after you remove -ing: stretching -> stretch, yawning -> yawn, etc. So yes, the bare infinitive would just be "newsjack".
    – stangdon
    May 10 at 14:21

"Newsjacking" is when a brand or firm mentions or creates a campaign centred around a major, well-discussed news item.

So for your example to work, "his divorce" would have to be a well-discussed news item. And you would have to be a brand or firm. You would say "newsjack his divorce" by analogy with "hijack his aeroplane".

Newsjack is a very recent word, and only really has currency among internet advertisers. It isn't in general circulation. Standard dictionaries don't (yet) include it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.