There is a short word meaning responding to someone in a indifferent or perfunctory way. It just escapes me

It is a very short word, maybe three or four letters. It may be a verb. When someone is talking to you, but you are not interested and don't care about what they say, so you want to brush them off or just say one or two words (such as OK, all right) to phone it in.

Can someone help me conjure this word up?

  • the only word that comes to mind is snub May 10, 2021 at 10:29
  • Can you give a more specific example, like an actual conversation, or how the word is used? There are a lot of words like "meh", "pfft", "huh", "whatevs", "so?" which you can say when you're not bothered, but they're not verbs.
    – Stuart F
    Jun 27 at 16:01

3 Answers 3


A short or perfunctory answer is a terse answer.

Oxford Dictionary:

terse /tərs/

sparing in the use of words; abrupt.
"a terse statement"

  • Thanks for the edit, have an upvote. (And feel free to flag this comment of mine.)
    – Glorfindel
    Jun 27 at 17:46
  • Well, comments are meant to be temporary. You read it, so it served its purpose, and it can go :)
    – Glorfindel
    Jun 27 at 18:05

If there were a word you could use in response to someone like 'OK' or 'alright' that had an inherent meaning of disinterest then nobody would use it, otherwise it would confirm they were disinterested.

Really, any word can be said in a disinterested, indifferent manner - like the examples you mentioned of "okay", or "alright". The difference is in your tone. You could say "thanks" or "thank you", even "goodbye" in a way that was dismissive. A very modern example is the response "cool story, bro", which at face value would seem like a compliment, but is now widely understood to be sarcastic.

  • but they are not what I am looking for. It is a verb, usually means a very simple response such as OK, Good
    – user135655
    May 10, 2021 at 8:23
  • @user135655 ok, your question wasn't clear - I thought you were looking for a word to describe that manner, not convey it. I've updated my answer, although you probably won't like it.
    – Astralbee
    May 10, 2021 at 8:36

Or maybe "dis" to dismiss, to be dismissive, or maybe "ig" to ignore. I heard "ig" occasionally in the 1980s, along with "igged" as the past tense and "igging" as the gerund form.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .