If I applied minor changes to a sentence, e.g. substituted two words in a ten-word one, or added a phrase halfway through, what would the verb which describes this action be?
My first thought was "rephrase" or "paraphrase" but neither seems to work since, as far as I can tell, they both indicate applying major changes which is not exactly what I am looking for.
Then I wondered if "reword" could be the verb but, again, does not seem to carry the intended meaning.

The context is: a saying that has been altered in a way which made it flexible and able to be used freely without sticking to the original structure.

  • 1
    [making minor change. :)]
    – Lambie
    May 15, 2021 at 13:40

2 Answers 2


There is always that old favorite: tweaking.

to make small adjustments to something, usually a machine, but editors and so forth do say and write to tweak a text, or article, etc.


amend: make minor changes to (a text, piece of legislation, etc.) in order to make it fairer or more accurate, or to reflect changing circumstances.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .